Introduction

My name is Tiaan Burger. I am an artist living in Pretoria, South Africa, where I mostly create objects in metal. Most of what I make is usable, such as jewellery and knives. I also embellish the work of other craftsmen, often doing work on knives.

The Techniques


I use traditional Japanese tools and techniques, most notably small chisels and punches called "tagane"which I make myself. The techniques I learned from online sources and from Ford Hallam, who is a master in this tradition. I'll be sharing a lot of the joys and frustrations of learning in the future.

My work:

Jewellery:


I love making jewellery, I'm still figuring out the reasons why- maybe knowing that another person will be wearing a piece I made and getting compliments for it, maybe it is the intimacy of working on a piece that is a close reflection of who I am. Most of the jewellery I make has a plant or nature theme. 

I try to always have some special pieces in my Etsy shop.

Knives:


 I used to love making knives. These days it is more of a love-hate relationship. I hate the process of making a knife, the noise, the dirt, the heat. But when the knife is done it becomes a blank canvas such as the little knife below, which eventually received inlays and a textured background. Here I show how I finished this knife.

 


Gardening:

I start every day with a walk through the garden, and most of my breaks during the course of a day's work are spend weeding, or just looking to see if the seeds are sprouting, or to curse the bug-uglies which are determined to eat my roses into oblivion.

Family:

I am happily married and have two kids. My daughter has a degree in food retail and is now a teacher in a nearby town, my son finished his studies as quantity surveyor in 2020 and is currently working in Secunda. My wife, who is my support and pillar of strength, works as a subject facilitator for the department of education. 
We own two Schnauzers named Pretzel and Schnucki who spends their days in close proximity to me or watching the street from the couch, ready to run out and bark at any and all who pass by.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making a small craft knife and learning hard lessons